…that at least is how the Welsh proverb goes. Apples are a succulent treat with so many health benefits. The best thing about apples is that they are great for anyone of any age! What though makes apples one of the most amazing fruits that we should all enjoy a little more of?
Health Benefits of apples
- Full of antioxidants – what this means is that apples (the peel in particular where most of the antioxidants are found) are full of natural molecules that help to neuteralize the free radicals in our bodies.
- The peel as a lot of dietary fiber – two bonuses here – helps you stay full longer and helps you stay regular!
- Apples can help reduce the risk of cancer, hypertension, diabetes and heart disease.
- Studies show that apples MAY help decrease cell death and improve memory, decrease the risk of thrombotic stroke, help decrease LDL (bad) and increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels, help prevent breast cancer and have beneficial effects on gut bacteria potential helping to decrease obesity
- Apples are full of nutrients including – Vitamin C, Vitamin B, dietary fibers, phytonutrients, calcium and potassium.
The best part of September and October is that it is apple picking season. This is a great cheap way to get some of these powerhouse fruits into your home, get outside, enjoy the weather and have a fun time with friend or family. Find your local apple farm and go get picking!